Out of the Loudspeaker. Musings on music and life.

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

On Fire

Man From Fiery Hill-Dull Guy

Man From Fiery Hill is a band that I discovered during Grease. What started out as a two-man college band has morphed into a very special quartet. Not only do these guys sing and play instruments...they write, direct, and produce their own indie films. Indeed, I can't wait for some pocket change so I can buy their movie, Almelund, which has been a long time in the making. Long story short, I really dug their music, but I never really got around to listening toall the songs that were available. One day, "Dull Guy" came up on the iPod's shuffle, and a new respect for this band was born. What I like about them is their flexibility- in "Dull Guy," there are nearly tangible parallels to Barenaked Ladies.....and yet their other songs are suitably diverse, calling to mind many different bands. From the very first time that bass guitar is strummed, to the last vocals fade away, the energy here is inspiring; the lyrics are cryptic and at times hilarious. Enjoy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home