Out of the Loudspeaker. Musings on music and life.

Saturday, June 18, 2005

There comes a time in every man's life....


Nearly beaten
Originally uploaded by TheIndieKid.
...when he must face challenges set forth to him by God. Or something like that. A lot of people have been asking recently how I got so jacked. I think this picture accurately describes the bulking up process.

-Three years ago now, my family had several trees cut down in the woods behind our house. Instead of paying for somebody to take the remains away, my dad made them leave the cut sections of the trees in a huge pile behind our shed. And we left them there.....until two months ago, when I finally got around to making use of the logs. Using a sledgehammer and a wedge, I've been splitting these logs into smaller logs that will fit into our fireplace come winter.

But today something different happened. I inserted my favored wedge into the biggest log I could find.....when it was nearly all the way in and the log hadn't split, I began to worry. No matter how hard I hit the damn thing with the sledgehammer, I could not split the log. So I took out my other wedge. You can see how well that went for me; it's peeking out of the bottom of the log there. Of course, the happy ending is that I was eventually able to split the log into several manageable pieces. (Flickr for final result) This stuff is hard work...hence the muscular build-up.

It would be pretty boring, I imagine, and much more lumberjack-esque, if I didn't have my iPod with me when I do this stuff. Heck, even when I'm mowing the lawn, I listen to my music. This was my first chance to listen to the Canada-import of The Planet Smashers- Unstoppable, and I'm sad to say that I am very disappointed. They were billed as the next big thing in ska....and I should have heard that and ran. Every song is standard ska affair- trumpets, beer lyrics, rebellion....I don't know if it's because I already have Goldfinger and Reel Big Fish, but this stuff is boring. Ironically, the only non-ska song on the album, "Looking For a Cure," is by far the best song on it. If this was the corner-song of a niche Indie Rock band, I'd say they would go far. But, instead, it's the oddball piece on an altogether forgettable album. When this gets released Stateside on July 2nd....don't buy it.

EDIT- So I go into Cosco to check out some aviators for my glasses-less eyes, and as I try them on, my mom remarks to me "But James, they're so big." Cue cameo entrance of never-before-seen girl. Cue completely random comment: "Yeah, but they're so hot." Cue exit of now-seen-and-never-forgotten girl. If you're out there- sweet timing. You completely freaked my mom out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Klaus said...

lol Jam... my dad burned wood for years, including over ten with it as the only heat in the house, so I've cut a LOT of wood in my time, and also spent a bit of time splitting ten-foot lengths with a sledgehammer and wedges lol. I remember having to have him help me get a few edges out of the inside of a few logs! Thanks for making me recall that, with him not here any more it helps go through Father's Day with more of a smile...

8:08 PM, June 19, 2005

 
Blogger TheIndieKid said...

Hey Klaus, no problem! I realize I'm lucky enough to be telling my dad and grandad today "Happy Father's Day," and I realize that one day they'll both be gone. I'll cherish days like this for the rest of my life.

Indeed, after a long day spent visiting family and shopping around with my dad, I took a nice long break from life to listen to Lifehouse's self-titled debut while splitting wood. I made myself a nice big pile that I'll have to transfer over to our actual woodpile tomorrow morning. Relaxing and yet strenuous...I love it!

Hope you're holding up well, and I loved the time travel concept that you linked to on your blog. Truly a new take on the whole idea, but it still leaves me with questions, as I hope my comment showed.

9:04 PM, June 19, 2005

 

Post a Comment

<< Home